Client : A Global Pharmaceutical Services Company
Having grown significantly through a series of international acquisitions, a global pharmaceutical services company now needed to reduce inefficiencies by consolidating, harmonising and automating processes, whilst redefining their target operating and shared service center model. An opportunity to significantly reduce costs had been identified and a digital strategy was decided on to enable the business transformation and reduction in overall system costs. The first step on the journey to a digitised operating model was to focus on the HR function globally. It was agreed that a best of breed approach would be targeted and Workday, SuccessFactors and Taleo were selected for implementation.
A total of 61 payroll systems and providers needed to be rationalised and the company had a poor history of delivering lasting and significant business benefits through technology enabled transformation. In addition, the organisation had no capability or experience of delivering SaaS implementations, where the approach was more agile and meant rapid implementation cycles rather than lengthy traditional design, build and rollout processes.
A significant IT Architecture challenge existed due to the scale of complex system integrations in the AS IS landscape. Over 250 down stream systems integrated with HR technology and this required significant streamlining.
- Re-engineered the support Target operating model to create seamless flow to enhance customer facing support processes and experiences
- Optimised digital and social media to communicate and engage effectively with employees (i.e. mobile messaging, instant messaging,) harnessing the ability for employees to tailor the content being received
- Built the capability of teams to sustain and respond effectively to future changes through coaching, knowledge transfer and creating online change tools
- Established appropriate employee engagement to comply with country legal requirements
- Built appropriate digital platforms for just–in-time tailored key stakeholder training supported by drop-in online sessions
- Clarified and simplified support roles across functional teams to ensure less handovers in providing customer support
- Created mechanisms for senior leadership to demonstrate commitment and support for changes through use of blogs, instant messaging and training videos/demonstrations
- Created weekly key stakeholder focused design decision making to accelerate delivery
- The transformation was successful in delivering a total headcount reduction of 19%
- KPI showed process cycle efficiency increased by 35%
- Process standardisation was increased by 80%
- Internal capability to deliver SaaS implementations significantly increased and became a successful internal function.
- 250 system integrations were reduced to 90 initially and a framework to decommission a further 82 was implemented to enable second stage rationalisation. This enabled the reduction of IT support headcount by 20%