Client : A Global Media Company
Core Partner : Acrasio
A global media company, faced with significant challenges to their business model due to digitisation, needed to implement a strategy that would improve services whilst reducing cost, and ultimately deliver improved profitability and shareholder value. A decision was taken to focus on organisational development in the form of a series of transformation programmes that would encompass organisational design, culture, systems and processes. Acrasio were engaged to lead change management, build change capability with internal leadership and enable the necessary transformation in behavior, skills and organisational design.
The company had never faced a situation that demanded such wide scale transformation. Having grown successfully and been extremely profitable, the leadership that existed within the business, had never experienced the tough challenges of change that they were now embarking on. A need to reduce cost whilst improving services, meant that there would be headcount reduction and this was itself something new for the business. A critical success factor for the engagement was not only to enable and facilitate the complex organisational change, but also to develop lasting change capability within the internal leadership of the business.
In addition, as the organisational development vision was global, the business needed to centralise and standardise across many different geographical locations. Aligning culture and organisational design, especially across Europe, was not going to be an easy task.
The engagement focused on three critical areas : Leadership change capability, organisational design and company culture.
To improve the internal leadership's ability to manage change, a series of workshops were developed and delivered that involved Vice Presidents, Managing Directors and Directors in key markets. The workshops focused on developing them for the role of a change leader, ensuring they had a thorough understand of business impacts, enabling them to communicate effectively and enabling them to create a learning environment
Acrasio designed the new organisation and then facilitated the transition to this new operating model. The work encompassed :
- Developing high-level organisational design
- Aligning business processes and workflows
- Aligning governance and decision rights
- Developing detailed organisational design with defined roles
- In conjunction with HR, developing job profiles and identifying necessary behaviours and culture
- Developing business impact assessments
- Developing organisation transition strategy
- Developing a detailed workforce transition plan
- Coaching and training managers to help them through the selection and workforce transition phases
- Working closely with Global and Regional HR a they conducted discussions with local works councils
Behaviour & Culture
To enable successful strategy implementation, alignment on behaviours and culture was required. We facilitated this by working on three key areas:
- Identifying the expected new behaviours
- Aligning existing skills to new requirements via training
- Adapting the organisational structure (as above)
The new behaviours were first defined by the executives and then described in workshops and a variety of communication media. The objective that we delivered was to define a set of 8 key beviours and ensure that every area of the organisation was made aware of them and understood the impacts and benefits individually.
The To-Be skills were used to identify the skill gap, define profiles for recruitment and to set up a training programme that build the necessary skills into the organisation.
- The transformation was successful in delivering a total headcount reduction of 15%
- Importantly, the transition to the new operating model was extremely smooth. The business encountered minimal disruption and was able to continue as usual during the change implementation process.
- The company continued to improve and develop. The internal leadership had developed change capability and now had the experience to assist in future. This ensured increased organisational responsiveness and agility.